Apparently the Tyra Banks Show had an episode titled: "Are you doomed for divorce?" There is an accompanying quiz to determine if you are, in fact, "doomed for divorce" that states that you have a 14% less likely chance of divorcing if you have a "religious affiliation".
I'm just going to say it: That is bullshit.
Percentage that have been divorced at some point in their lives (which is a more accurate picture than those who currently hold the status of "divorced"):
Jewish- 30%
Born-Again Christian- 27%
Other Christian- 24%
Atheist/Agnostic- 21%
If you'd like a more detailed breakdown of the Christian categories, here they are:
Non-denominational- 34%
Baptist- 29%
Mainline Protestant- 25%
Mormon- 24%
Catholic- 21%
Lutheran- 21%
I have found these figures through multiple sources.
Being raised to be Catholic and as a practicing Atheist, I think I'll do okay. I have no problems with other people and what they choose to believe, but I don't appreciate it when people make negative assumptions and act as if their spiritual path is superior to mine through little jabs such as this. I know that religion is a touchy subject, and I do not intend to dwell on this topic, so please don't feel as if I am attacking anyone in particular... unless of course you are the creator of that quiz. Then I totally can't stand you and wish you would stop breathing. Thanks!
(This topic was brought to my attention when I stumbled upon a really old post by Mrs. Bluebell on WeddingBee.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Show me some of that comment lovin'!