I don't exactly know where to call "home". I always get flustered and start stuttering and/or rambling when someone asks the seemingly simple question of "Where are you from?". Let me give you the run down of the towns that go through my mind and all try to spill out at the same time:
First up, Haverhill, Massachusetts. This is where I was born, but I only spent a total of two years living here, both of which I don't remember since I was, ya know, a baby.

Second, Derry, New Hampshire. Eight years here makes me feel that this might be a logical answer to my question... but I haven't been here since we moved away almost 13 years ago, so it's a far cry from feeling familiar.

Next up, Woodstock, Georgia. This was home from ages 12 to 18. Less time than I spent in Derry, but it was definitely some pivotal years... middle school, high school, learning to drive, sneaking out of the house, my first few boyfriends, yada yada yada. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of bad memories and I associate Woodstock with being where my parents live... which couldn't be further from feeling welcoming.

Then there is good old Athens, Georgia, my current town. I'm registered to vote here, I pay taxes here, and I have spent my entire adult life thus far in this town. But there is little emotional attachment to this place... and I've spent a lot of that time wishing I were somewhere else.

And my last consideration, Sandown, New Hampshire. This is the place where the only people that I consider to be family (save my sisters and Auntie Sue) live. It hasn't been until recent years that I have been able to be a part of this family again, but they have welcomed me with open arms and I even now share their name. "Home" should be where your family is, but I don't have any true memories of this place other than recent ones.

Yeah, it's kind of sticky and complicated territory. Not to mention that I some times generalize and say Boston or Atlanta is my "home". I am very curious, if you have moved around a lot too, where do you call "home"?

Oh, girlfriend, how I feel your pain. We moved around all the time when I was a kid and I went to 10 different schools K-12. Sadly, I have no answer for your.
ReplyDeleteWe've been here in Michigan for 11 years now, so it's as close to home as I have. As you know from my bog, we're moving to Atlanta when we get our house sold. I don't know what my answer will be.
I'm so sorry I don't have good advice, or even any advice, on this one. Just some empathy, and I hope that helps.
Atlanta really is a wonderful place... I love it a lot. The only reason I plan on leaving is because I want to have some new experiences while I'm young. I'm sure you'll love it here though!
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to know that I'm not the only one who didn't have a traditional hometown experience... On the bright side, we are more interesting and have learned how to adapt to new situations better, right? :)